Dr Wong is a skilled, specialist surgeon with expertise in obesity and metabolic surgery, benign oesophagogastric, gallbladder, hernia and general surgery. He is also a certified endoscopist.
He trained in New Zealand after his nous for surgery was recognised in his first year working as a doctor. He went on to join specialist training during which he won awards for Best Registrar, and a travelling fellowship to present cancer research in Vienna at an international conference.
In 2015, he complete further sub-specialist training in oesophagogastric and bariatric surgery before moving to Australia where he was the inaugural fellow at Redcliffe Hospital.
Dr Wong is well-known for his friendly and caring nature, holistic care and ability to explain complicated things in easy to understand words.
He is a surgical thinker and innovator, and has pioneered several surgical techniques including:
- Two-port laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- World first laparoscopic repair of paraduodenal hernia using BioA hiatal reinforcement.
- A technique using endoscopic pilonidal sinus surgery to definitively manage pilonidal abscess without the need for packing.
- A technique to close contaminated laparotomy abdominal wounds and achieve cosmetic result equivalent to a clean, elective wound.
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS)
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery - University of Otago 2007
- Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology) - University of Otago 2002
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Surgical Anatomy - University of Otago 2009
- Surgical Director at Brisbane General & Obesity Surgery
- Staff Specialist and Director of Surgical Training - Redcliffe Hospital
- Chairperson of North West Bariatric Group
- Visiting Surgeon - North West Private Hospital
- Visiting Surgeon - Mater Private Hospital
- Visiting Surgeon - St Andrew's War Memorial Hospital
- Visiting Surgeon - Brisbane Private Hospital
- Visiting Surgeon - Peninsula Private Hospital